The City of Swan will submit a report to the Metro East Joint Development Assessment Panel next month on the development application to build a McDonalds in Guildford which drew in over 800 submissions at the close of the public comment period.
The city’s report is due to be submitted on Monday, July 24.
The controversial bid sparked a public meeting at the Guildford Town Hall and a community rally Residents tell McDonald’s to “Burger off” (Echo News, March 31, 2017).
Residents object to McDonald’s bid to build a 24-hour drive through restaurant at the back of The Guildford Hotel for a number of reasons.
Including insufficient parking for patrons, traffic issues and the fact it was at odds with Guildford’s Conservation Policy.
The bid prompted the Guildford Association to call on the new Labor government to create new laws and urgently act to protect the heritage town.
City of Swan Mayor Mick Wainwright said the development application had received a large number of submissions during the extended public comment period.
“The City received 865 submissions from a variety of community members, agencies and organisations,” he said.
“All of these submissions are being assessed and will help to form the report.”
Mayor Wainwright said once the report has been submitted to JDAP, a hearing date would be set, and the community would be updated once the date had been confirmed.
He said this was expected to take place on or before Wednesday, August 2.
“The city understands there is a lot of community angst surrounding this development application and will work to ensure all parties are kept up to date on any significant progress.”
Mayor Wainwright said those interested in the upcoming JDAP hearing should keep an eye on the West Australian Planning Commission website, as hearing dates and agendas were published there.
For more information go to www.planning.wa.gov.au