The Guildford Association has welcomed the restoration work to the Memory Gates in Stirling Square with the replacement of one of the timber posts in time for Anzac Day celebrations.
Guildford Association president Ted Williams has commended the City of Swan on the important work of conserving significant features that form part of Guildford’s military history.
He said the Guildford Memory Gates, were donated to the Guildford community by the Guildford Municipal Council in 1932.
They were located by chance, when found in scrap metal at the Midland Railway Workshops and the Guildford town clerk purchased them for twenty five shillings.
The gates had previously been placed at the main entry to the Perth Railway, but were removed when a new entry was constructed. The Guildford Municipal Council decided to hang the gates at the sestern entry to Stirling Square.
The gates were dedicated to the soldiers that were raised and trained at Guildford, the 10th Light Horse, the Artillery 8th Battery and the Australian Service Corps
The Memory Gates were unveiled by Brigadier General Bessell-Brown on August 14, 1932 in the presence of a large parade of soldiers, veterans and general public.
The brass plaque was cast by Calder Crowther, a Guildford mayor from 1927-37. The event was recorded in some papers as the opening of the memorial park.
The gates were moved to the east end of the park when they became too narrow for motor vehicle movements.
The gates were placed in their present position following the formation of a Stirling Square Casual Committee and recommendations from a conservation plan.