A NEW fence at High Wycombe Primary School could not come sooner after vandals caused extensive damage to property this week, adding to 16 other incidences of vandalism at the school in the past six months.
A 15-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl, both from High Wycombe, were charged with criminal damage or destruction of property, stealing, aggravated burglary and trespass.
It is alleged the youths forced entry into a number of buildings, breaking 51 windows and graffiting computers and other equipment in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
A Education Department spokeswoman said funding for a new fence around the school had been approved and would be constructed after a tender for the work was awarded.
“Public schools are selected for security fencing based on the amount of wilful damage which occurs over three years,” she said.
“A very small number of schools are fenced each year, with the funding going to schools with the highest level of need.”
Previous vandalism cost totaled $6950.
“The previous matters were only minor and included a damaged door panel, and windows that were forced open, which were not on the scale of last night’s incident,” the spokeswoman said on Tuesday.
Department of Finance contractors spent the day making urgent repairs to windows and doors and cleaning up.
High Wycombe Primary School Principal Rick Walters thanked clean-up crews.
“I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the clean-up and repair effort today to get things back on track for our students to return to their classrooms tomorrow,” Mr Walters said.
The two youths will appear in the Midland Children’s Court on March 28.
Suspicious activity at schools after hours, on weekends and holidays can be reported to WA Police on 131 444 and School Watch on 1800 177 777.
By Claire Ottaviano