Home / General News / Swan votes to approve Arthur St overpass

Swan votes to approve Arthur St overpass

CITY of Swan councillors have voted to take out a loan up to $7.5 million to go towards the construction of the Arthur St overpass.

At the city’s May 9 meeting councillors went against a motion put forward by the chief executive officer Mike Foley to not approve funding for the construction of the overpass over the Reid Hwy.

Mr Foley wanted councillors to advise Transport Minister Rita Saffioti that the city believed the overpass should be included in the project cost for the dual carriageway works on Reid Hwy and that the council would be seeking funding from the federal government as part of its advocacy plans in the lead up to the next federal Election.

But Mayor David Lucas, who got deputy mayor Kevin Bailey to chair the meeting while the item was dealt with, put forward a motion that the city contribute to the construction of the Arthur St bridge over Reid Hwy. 

The motion also included that the city take out a loan of up to $7.5m being half of the estimated construction cost and to include the item in the 2019-20 draft Annual Budget and long term financial plan. 

The motion also authorised Mr Foley to negotiate appropriate contractual terms with Main Roads WA and advise Ms Saffioti that the city would contribute half the cost of the overpass up to $7.5m. 

Councillors Rod Henderson, Andrew Kiely, Peter Lyndon-James and John McNamara voted against the motion but it passed 10-4.

Cr Lucas said the reasons for changing the staff recommendation included that the fly-over was in the north east corridor structure plan and in the metropolitan region scheme and it was a high priority for Dayton and Caversham residents and was continually raised at community meetings. 

If it was not constructed as part the project to dual Reid Hwy, costs could increase significantly and create more disruption after that project had been completed. 

Also he said the Transport Minister may not offer a 50 per cent contribution in the future and the city would be required to fund 100 per cent or lose the opportunity to construct the bridge entirely. 

By Anita McInnes

About Anita

Anita Mcinnes received a highly commended in the 2009 WA Media Awards suburban section for her reporting. Two of her sons were born at Swan District Hospital and for many years she was a partner in a small business, which operated in the Gingin-Muchea-Bullsbrook area. As a mature age student Anita studied journalism at Curtin University before working in Busselton, Dunsborough and Rockingham with West Regionals. She says the best part of her job is meeting eastern suburb residents and visiting the many attractions in the area.

One comment

  1. Oh well, so much debt now why worry about another 7.5 million.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*