Home / Front Page Slider / Advice for people affected by flood
DAFWA says businesses and landowners who have been affected by the flood can call its rural business development unit and talk to an assessor about their situation. Picture: ANITA McINNES

Advice for people affected by flood

SWAN Valley landowners and businesses affected by the flood in February are being advised to not self-assess whether they are eligible for disaster relief.

Instead they are being advised to contact the Department of Agriculture and Food WA’s rural business development unit and talk to an assessor about their situation.

In Flood damages other businesses (Echo News, March 4) Corinne Reside from farm stay Settlers Rest said it was not just grape growers who had been affected by the February 11 flood, which resulted in the area being declared a natural disaster for grape growers who became eligible for assistance.

Applications by primary producers eligible for assistance under the Western Australia Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements should be lodged online using the Department’s Online Grant Management System before Sunday, August 13.

Funding is not capped and works on re-imbursement so growers will not be disadvantaged by a delay in application.

The rural business development unit can also provide further information for primary producers on Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.

The department’s website said landowners whose fencing claim had been rejected by their insurer (i.e. hydrologic determination) may have their claim on boundary fencing considered under Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements, if all other conditions and qualifications were met.

There are support networks and forms of assistance available to rural communities and individuals who have been affected by a natural disaster.

WA’s rural health, financial and information services support directory provides useful information on the nature of the services available and how to access them.

Visit https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/climate -weather/flood-and-cyclone-recovery

Call the Department of Agriculture and Food WA’s rural business development unit on Freecall 1800 198 231 (8am to 5pm Monday to Friday) or visit the WANDRRA webpage on the department’s website.

City of Swan Mayor Mick Wainwright said the city was continuing to monitor areas affected by flooding for increased mosquito breeding and activity.

“City officers are still out and about identifying and treating high risk breeding areas; however we are asking the community continue to take extra care to protect themselves and their properties,’’ he said.

For more information on mosquitoes and to stay up to date on the flood situation and closures, please visit the city’s website (www.swan.wa.gov.au/alerts) or contact the City of Swan customer service centre on 9267 9267.

If you have a legal problem related to the recent floods and would like to make an appointment with a lawyer for initial legal advice, please ring the Legal
Aid WA info line
on 1300 650 579 or email naturaldisasters@legalaid.wa.gov.au

By Anita McInnes


About Anita

Anita Mcinnes received a highly commended in the 2009 WA Media Awards suburban section for her reporting. As a mature age student Anita studied journalism at Curtin University before working in Busselton, Dunsborough and Rockingham with West Regionals. The best part of her job was meeting eastern suburb residents and visiting the many attractions in the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *