MAIN Roads have confirmed noise assessment monitoring of the northern section of Northlink has been brought forward by four months, as community anger regarding the noise from the highway grows.
As detailed in Northlink noise never ends (Echo News, May 29), residents living either side of the stretch of road between Ellenbrook and Muchea have been subjected to endless noise since the $1.02 billion highway opened, after the road surface was finished using chip-seal, as opposed to asphalt.
While Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said the noise would reduce over time as the stoned continue to embed with traffic using the road, Main Roads have made the decision to bring forward noise assessment monitoring originally scheduled for October.
Main Roads spokesman Dean Roberts said the monitoring would begin next week, adding that noise modelling would extend to a kilometre from the highway.
“Noise levels are expected to drop below accepted limits in less than half that distance,” he said.
“Acoustic experts will place noise logging devices at a number of locations along the alignment and at varying distances from the road to measure the actual level of noise based on current traffic volumes.
“Loggers will typically be placed outside of dwellings and Main Roads has already been in contact with landowners to seek permissions.”
However residents who feel the outdoor amenity of their property has been disrupted may be left disappointed, with Mr Roberts saying mitigating outdoor noise levels was not practically achievable.
“To meet environmental obligations, Main Roads was required to reduce indoor noise levels using treatments agreed with the landowners at each rural dwelling where noise levels outside such dwellings were expected to exceed 60dB.
“Mitigating outdoor noise levels was deemed not to be practicably achievable.
“If the results indicate noise levels exceed what was previously anticipated, Main Roads will take appropriate action in consultation with landowners.
“This may include reviewing treatments previously provided at dwellings and/or offering acoustic treatments to dwellings that were previously anticipated to fall below the noise threshold.”
A petition to Premier Mark McGowan and Ms Saffioti, initiated by residents and supported by Liberals Libby Mettam and Rod Henderson, calling on the State Government to rectify the noise and damage issues that have plagued this section of Northlink, has reached 556 signatures.
On Thursday morning, members of the Facebook page Residents Against NorthlinkWA Road Noise gathered on the steps of Parliament as Ms Mettam delivered a grievance to Ms Saffioti.