Home / General News / Road noise nightmare ends
Minister for Transport Rita Saffioti and Swan Hills MLA Jessica Shaw.

Road noise nightmare ends

By Claire Ottaviano

CHARLOTTES Vista residents should be sleeping a little easier from next year, with the extension of the Northlink noise wall in Ellenbrook to dampen traffic noise.

Surveying, planning and contract development work to extend the wall south about 420m towards The Promenade has already begun.

Construction is expected to start by the end of the year.

Swan Hills MLA Jessica Shaw said she had been advocating for residents affected by the noise since Northlink was completed and opened in April 2020.

“We’ve managed to secure funding for MRWA to extend the noise wall at the south end quite extensively,” she said.

Noise from traffic using Tonkin Highway has been a problem for many of the residents along the project’s length.

“It’s an important point, that the road when it was originally designed, it was designed to meet specifications at the time,” she said.

“When the project was built they did all of the measurements and the noise accorded with those standards but didn’t meet the new standards.”

“Even with the work done to bring it up to standard, some residents still experienced noise issues.”

Ms Shaw said State Government’s movement on the noise wall had nothing to do with a grievance made by Moore MLA Shane Love in June who said residents on Charlottes Vista felt there was “no end in sight” to their calls for the noise issue to be addressed.

“I’ve been working on this for a long time before Shane came along,” she said.

“It has been an issue I’ve been advocating for ever since Tonkin Highway opened.

“This treatment is really going above and beyond and has taken a lot of work to get there but we’re pleased of the result.

“The vast majority  of feedback about the project is what an impact it’s made on people’s lives in reducing commuter times.”

Noise is not the only issue affecting many residents.

The chipseal surface of the highway between Ellenbrook and Muchea is also causing damage to vehicles, as reported in Northlink leaves drivers spitting chips (Echo News, May 2020).

In August this year, Mr Love asked Transport Minister Rita Saffioti how many claims for compensation Main Roads WA or its contractors had received for damage caused by the chipseal loose surface since the road opened.

As of July 20, 2021, there have been 1604 claims resolved with payments totalling more than $1,100,000.

About The Editorial Team

Echo News gives readers an alternative to other media outlets in WA and enjoys a very high rate of readership in its distribution area. Our Echo News team are a small group of devoted individuals who work hard to give the local community an easy to read, yet intelligent mix of local community stories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*