Hillview Lifestyle Village entrance was located across the road from the proposed road exit. Picture: Brayden Mould

Hatch Court precinct road access to be reviewed

The City of Kalamunda will look to make changes to draft LPP35's Hatch Court precinct after residents opposed a Kalamunda Road exit.
February 19, 2026
Brayden Mould

FOLLOWING significant community backlash, the City of Kalamunda has moved to remove a controversial road alignment from the draft Local Planning Policy 35 (LPP35) regarding the proposed Hatch Court light industrial precinct.

As previously reported in High Wycombe residents mobilise over Hatch Court industry concerns the community has maintained a focused opposition to the proposed road exiting the industrial area, citing potential congestion issues and increased industrial traffic through the area.

As part of the development report for LPP35 brought to council at the agenda briefing forum on February 10, the recommendation to remove the visual representation of the road from the policy was formally presented.

“The inclusion of the future road alignment… has created a perception amongst affected residents that the location of the road has been established through LPP35,” the report said.

“The access scenario involving a potential connection to Kalamunda Road has been investigated, including consideration of the need for significant intersection upgrades such as traffic signals or a roundabout.

“No final decisions about road locations have been made.”

Hillview Lifestyle Village resident Graeme Owens said the community’s opposition against the road connection has been made apparent to the council.

“As a result of our campaign the photo of the (light industrial precinct) has been altered to avoid further confusion,” he said.

“A total of 45 submissions were received to the LPP35, with 40 not supporting the proposal, four providing comments, and one non objection.

“The petition from the Lifestyle Village comprising 200 signatures objecting to the proposal was also sent to the council.

“We’ve left the council members in no doubt of our opposition to a Kalamunda Road exit.”

While the potential connecting road between Adelaide Street and Kalamunda Road is under review, the council is still weighing options for future access into the planned precinct.

City of Kalamunda strategic planning manager Chris Lodge said at the February meeting that the city was exploring other scenarios for access and movement including a potential cul-de-sac connecting to Adelaide Street.

“There are several options being explored and we do need to take it through that deliberative process with council and the community to determine the preferred pathway,” he said.

“But there are other ways of managing access beyond a cul-de-sac, and it is worth noting it’s not the preferred approach from a state policy perspective to have it in an industrial context.

“But it’s one of the lead options being considered for the structure plan.”

Mr Owens said that while the removal of the road from the plans was a win for Hillview and other High Wycombe residents there is still a need to maintain vigilance for the future of the precinct.

“The Local Structure Plan is being prepared for council and will be finalised in late June,” he said.

“It is this document that will recommend the traffic flow to, from, and within the precinct.

“This is the document we as a community need to watch, so I have asked to be kept informed by the city as it is developed.”

Privately owned, proudly independent local news service.

ALL IMAGES & WORDS © 2023 Echo Newspaper
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram